Once you have an idea for a supplement, marketing that idea to others can be time-consuming. Indeed, supplement marketing can be a full-time job, leaving you with very little time to deal with manufacturing and packaging.
Because of this, it may be a good idea to outsource your supplements. The right company can help you get your business up and running, freeing you to focus on making sales.
Rules & Regulations for Selling Supplements Online
To sell supplements online, you have to meet a specific set of standards. The Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 outlines the guidelines supplement manufacturers need to follow. This act was put in place by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
When creating your supplement marketing plan, you will need to determine whether your company meets these guidelines. You will either need to have your own certifications, factory, and formulas and keep up with FDA standards, or use a supplement packaging and manufacturing company. Working with another company can be beneficial, as they will already have the required certifications, factory, ingredients, and anything else needed. However, there are pros and cons to outsourcing your supplement manufacturing, so make sure you understand what is involved.
How Do You Market a Supplement?
Supplement marketing must be done carefully. You need to follow FDA guidelines, which means avoiding claims and including a disclaimer. You should also never guarantee results or link your product to a medical condition. If you don’t follow these rules, you could end up in serious legal trouble.
Once you get the legal stuff out of the way, here are some other marketing tips:
- Build trust. Your marketing should include reviews and carefully selected testimonials, as well as any positive press. These things will help show the benefits of your supplement without making any claims.
- Take advantage of photos and videos. People tend to be visual, so make sure your supplement marketing plan includes high-quality photos and videos you can post on social media. These will help promote your product better than stock photos, which can make your supplement look like a scam.
- Write and promote blogs. These blogs can help inform potential customers about your supplements. Aim for 1-2 blogs a month about the benefits of your supplement and how it has helped you. Then link to these blogs on social media.
What Are the Best-Selling Supplements?
What supplements do people buy the most? A survey in 2020 showed that the #1 seller was vitamin D, with magnesium and fish oil rounding out the top three. CoQ10 was #4 on the list, followed by multivitamins. Probiotics were in sixth place, followed by curcumin and turmeric, vitamin C, B-complexes, and vitamin B12 to round out the top 10 supplements.
Best Platforms to Sell Supplements
Now that you have a supplement marketing plan in place, where should you sell your products? That depends on the size of your company. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Independent owners and operators. If your company consists solely of yourself, social media is an excellent place to get started. Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and other sites can help you reach a vast number of people in a short time. A platform like Shopify is also a good choice, as it’s easy to use and allows you to build your brand.
- Small businesses. Affiliate marketing can be a good way for you to partner with other companies to bring in revenues. You can also partner with established companies in the industry, such as GNC, The Vitamin Shoppe, and Vitacost. There are also many platforms to consider, such as eBay and Google Shopping.
- Mid-size businesses. If you’re a larger business, you may benefit from selling supplements on your own website, especially if you have a team dedicated to monitoring and updating the site. You can also branch out and consider platforms such as Amazon and Walmart Marketplace, which are picky about their sellers.
Contact Us Today
What is your supplement marketing plan? Are you looking to outsource your manufacturing? If so, Soft Gel Technologies, Inc. can help. We help manufacture soft gelatin capsules for the dietary supplement industry. Contact us today to learn more about using a supplement packaging company.